Wednesday, May 02, 2018

Crazy Rich Asians

“I'm telling you, this so-called 'prosperity' is going to be the downfall of Asia. Each new generation becomes lazier than the next. They think they can make overnight fortunes just by flipping properties and getting hot tips in the stock market. Ha! Nothing lasts forever, and when this boom ends, these youngsters won't know what hit them”
― Kevin Kwan, Crazy Rich Asians

It was actually not a surprise that one (big) family (may) hold a big control and influence on the economy of one region, here in Asia or maybe the world.
What amazed me more was the 'actual' lifestyle of jet-setters and the Big Moneys.
Well, I know some of them do have private jet, or some others buy hundred/thousands million dollar of bags or clothes just like buying some peanuts in Alfama*t or Indo*aret.
But, to get 'the real' exposure of what (could be) really happening, it's just, WOW, WOOOWWW.
To be honest, I couldn't fully imagine most of the descriptions of the house, the clothes, expensive cars, and other related matters.
Such as the material used for the building, all the gold coated, the couture.
I don't even know how expensive marble flooring is.
At least I know it looks fancy (and expensive). But never really care about the price (I couldn't afford it anyway).
Thanks to this novel, I got some enlightenments.


I read this book by the influence of Noyara.
She told me that she never really notice how 'big' Singapore is (or could be) until she read this book.
So I was intrigued and decided to borrow the book from her when we were in her house in Purwokerto.

The main plot itself is not that fresh, it's just like any other Korean Drama story.
A super charming boyfriend and his super rich family (like, SUPER), crazy mom (and her friends), some crazy bitches and all the drama.
I am actually a little bit disappointed with the ending.
It may look like a happy ending for Rachel and Nick, but I am more interested on how they are going to solve the problems or how they face the issue.
And what may happen in the longer term after, if possible, their marriage.

The kind of family tradition is common in Asia. Except one country may have slight difference from the others.
People may vocal on anti-racism, but not that many involve in anti-classism.
And it is not easy to be changed.
It's already running for generations.
Making it more like the identity of the people, and the society.
So I was actually curious about what solution Kevin Kwan might propose for the issue.
In fact, he didn't give any (in this book).

I was also a bit curious about what might happen to Astrid and her family.
Somewhat touched by the unchanging love of Charlie (but felt the irony at the same time).
But I really want to know what Michael would do in the end and how he feels about it.


Apart from my dissatisfaction with the ending and the main story, this novel is still recommended for a light reading in between daily activities.
Especially with all the 'wow'.
And I heard that they are going to release the film soon!
Whoa..
We (me and Noya) are definitely going to watch it.


P.S
Anyway, I just knew (right now, at this moment, after I wrote this long review) that the story is a sequel.
So that's why so many things are left unclear!
Kemana aja Ziii.
SO, basically this is the first book. Followed by China Rich Girlfriend and Rich People Problems.
Ah, I wonder if I should read both of them.
Maybe I should (?)
Share:

0 comments: